CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Open Now Until 8 January 2024
E ngā reo, e ngā mana, i runga i te reo rāhiri o Loading Docs tēnei te karanga, nau mai, kuhu mai, tono mai rā. Loading Docs is now accepting expressions of interest from talented filmmakers ready to embark on a journey of cinematic storytelling and professional growth.
This is your opportunity to join a new cohort of Loading Docs filmmakers. An award-winning short documentary initiative, Loading Docs, has amassed over 19 million views globally, contributed to the creation of multiple feature documentaries, and propelled the career progression of over a hundred filmmakers.
Your Invitation to Pitch:
We invite you to submit a short synopsis and treatment for up to three documentary concepts.
Kei ngā ringa whatu kupu, kei ngā arero pounamu, kia kawea e te reo – whītiki tauā! Loading Docs seeks two projects expressly told through te reo Māori (one documentary 100% in te reo, the other at least 30%), ensuring that distinctly Māori perspectives, values, and stories are woven into the fabric of the kaupapa.
Engage with us early to gain constructive feedback and insights on your ideas before the full proposal deadline. By connecting with Loading Docs now, you will better understand our ethos, the commitment we seek, and the kind of stories that resonate with us and our audiences.
Expressions of interest will be accepted from now until 5 pm, Monday, January 8, 2024.
We encourage you to reach out early and welcome opportunities to engage with filmmakers prior to the summer break.
The Theme for the Season:
Our guiding theme for this year is ‘Attention’ – ‘Te kimihanga, te hahaunga’, challenging you to uncover and showcase the unseen beauty and potential in our complex surroundings.
We’re searching for narratives that shine a spotlight on the overlooked facets of New Zealand, bringing to life stories that touch the soul, shift perspectives, and harmonise the traditional with the cutting-edge.
How to Submit:
Email your expression of interest to [email protected], including the following information in a Word doc or PDF format:
- Relevant experience and links to previous work, plus bios of key personnel.
- A short synopsis for each concept (up to 200 words per idea).
- A treatment of the approach and vision (up to 200 words per idea).
- A personal statement detailing your reasons for wanting to make a Loading Docs film.
- Contact information, including email, phone number and relevant websites or social media handles.
If you have a concept but are yet to secure a director or producer partnership, we still encourage you to reach out. It’s essential, however, that all films selected for participation have a confirmed producer and director team. Full proposals will be due Monday, February 12, 2024.
We Are Looking for Concepts That Are:
- Daring in their execution and intimate in their portrayal
- Curiosity-igniting and revealing of unseen perspectives
- Inspirational and thought-provoking through cultural connection and expression
- Capturing the heartbeat of communities
- Challenging of the status quo
- Bridging of worlds
- Featuring individuals or groups with significant profiles and unique outlooks
At this expression of interest stage, we understand submissions may not be fully developed and will likely need further research. We value your eagerness to engage with Loading Docs as much as the ideas themselves and look forward to hearing from you.
The Loading Docs Team.
ABOUT LOADING DOCS
Loading Docs is an initiative funded by NZ On Air, Te Māngai Pāho and the New Zealand Film Commission and managed by production company Notable Pictures.
Watch at: www.loadingdocs.net/watch